New York is the city that never sleeps, a city known for its dynamic fashion style, never-ceasing entertainment, multicultural backgrounds, all thanks to thousands of different ethnic groups that made the Big Apple what it is today ... In short, it's one true metropolis. If you love shopping, discover different cultures, or try different cuisines, New York won't disappoint you. Each neighborhood is a reality in itself and offers a different "soul", vibe, and rhythm. You can rest assured that you won't be bored here.
Shopping in New York is easy, you just have to choose amongst the plethora of boutiques and shopping malls. Although it is true that shopping can be very expensive, New York City also offers excellent opportunities and bargains if you just know where to look ... whatever the object of your desire is a piece of clothing, a bizarre item, some arts & crafts or a technology-related product (and so on), you can for sure find it in the city. Now let's see some options:
SHOPPING: DEPARTMENT STORES AND MALLS
Department stores in New York are really big, they offer a plethora of items from custom-made jewelry to home furnishings. Some may only really offer famous brands and big European names featuring the most popular (and therefore expensive) designer clothes but for example at Macy's, you can find great deals!
The Shops at Hudson Yards--20 Hudson Yards, New York
Macy's -- 151 West 34 Street between 6th and 7th Avenue
Bloomingdale's -- 1000 Third Avenue (at 59th Street & Lexington Ave), New York - open from 10 am to 8:30 pm - Sunday 11 am to 7 pm
Westfield at the WTC, it's the new Mall in Lower Manhattan located exactly at 185 Greenwich Street, New York NY 10007 - Hours: Monday to Saturday from 10 am to 9 pm - Sunday from 11 am to 7 pm
Saks Fifth Avenue -- 611 5th Avenue, New York.
Bergdorf Goodman -- 754 5th Ave, New York, NY - Open from 10 am to 8 pm, Sunday from 11 am to 7 pm.
Barneys New York -- 660 Madison Ave, New York - Open from 10 am to 8 pm, Sunday 11 am to 7 pm.
Video: The Westfield World Trade Mall
DEPARTMENT STORES AT DISCOUNTED PRICES
Marshall e T.J.Maxx - Scattered everywhere in Manhattan, you find them all listed on the Map.
Century 21 - Closed but will re-open its flagship location downtown at 22 Cortlandt Street, right across from the World Trade Center, in the spring of 2023.
Saks OFF 5TH - 125 E 57th St, New York, NY - Open Monday through Saturday 10 am - 9 pm and Sunday 11 am to 8 pm
Nordstrom Rack - multiple locations (found on the map) - The one in Union Square is open from 10 am to 10 pm and Sunday 11 am to 8 pm.
Burlington - 707 6th Ave, New York, NY 10010 - Open from 8:30 am to 10 pm, Friday and Saturday 8:30 am to 10:30 pm.
DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse -- multiple locations (found on map). It's a chain of stores known for the wide selection of discounted designer shoes and bags.
SHOPPING AT THE NEW YORK OUTLETS
In the map below, you will find some marked Outlets that are located either in Manhattan, as the NEW EMPIRE OUTLETS in Staten Island, or in the state of New York, as the Woodbury Common Premium Outlets and Tanger Outlet (located in Long Island).
Empire Outlets: The new in Town - @ Staten Island
Woodbury Common Premium Outlets - 498 Red Apple Ct, Central Valley, NY 10917. Open since 1985. Everyday from 9 am to 9 pm.
Tanger Outlets Deer Park - 152 The Arches Cir, Deer Park, NY 11729 - From Monday to Saturday open from 9am to 9pm and Sunday 9 am to 8 pm.
The Mills a Jersey Gardens - 651 Kapkowski Rd, Elizabeth, New Jersey - Open every day from Monday to Saturday from 10 am to 9 pm and Sunday 11 am to 7 pm.
If New York has dozens of Mall and Department Stores where you can lose yourself for days and days, it is also true that the city can offer the actual pleasure of shopping in small boutiques, mom & pop's stores, vintage and ethnic shops. "Lose yourself" in one of the streets of the Village, NoLiTa or Soho. Most stores are open 7 days a week, but they might have a day off or at least reduced hours on Monday or Sunday. Some Manhattan neighborhoods are known to showcase the fashion of local designers, in others you will find art galleries and avant-garde stores while in others you will find more "big names" or everything that is trendy and "cool" at the moment:
The Trendy takes you to the Meatpacking District ...
The Vintage to the East Village and Lower East Side...
The Designer to the West Village ...
The High Fashion to Fifth Avenue and Madison Ave
The Hi-Fi & Technology to B&H Photo Store on the 9th Street
RESTAURANTS & STEAKHOUSES
1. The View - The Revolving Restaurant and Rooftop - It is located inside the Marriott Marquis Hotel, on Broadway and 47th street on the 48th floor. Restaurant and Lounge with 360° views + Elegant ambiance perfect for a special occasion and celebrations.
2. Capital Grill - Steakhouse Meat/Fish - 155 East 42nd Street New York, NY 10017- on Lexington Avenue (under the Chrysler building) – Price: $$$$.
3. River Café - American Cuisine - Brooklyn. Price: $$$$ Beautiful views of Manhattan from right under the Brooklyn Bridge. We also recommend it for an evening Happy Hour/Cocktail ... ...
4. Peter Luger, the iconic Steakhouse since 1887 – Steakhouse in Brooklyn,178 Broadway Phone (718) 387-7400 - Price: $$$$. Among the most famous steakhouses in New York.
5. Carmine - Italian - 200 W 44th St, New York, NY 10036 (Times Square) - Price$$ - Typical family-style restaurant, the portions are very large and just one dish is good for two or three people, the meal is meant to be shared - The one in Upper West side (UWS) is certainly less touristy.
6. Le Pain Quotidien - American-French - Salads, Sandwiches - 3 Park Avenue New York, NY 10016 - at 34th Street - Price:$ (Many locations throughout Manhattan/NYC).
7. Shake Shack - Hamburger - 691 8th Avenue New York, NY 10036 - at 43rd Street - Price:$ (Multiple locations Manhattan) one of the most famous hamburger.
8. Frying Pan - American & Hamburger - Pier 66 Maritime, W. 26th St.New York, NY 10069 - Pier 26 and the Hudson River, boat on the Hudson, incredible views, at 26th Street. Price: $.
9. Cookshop - American Cuisine great for Brunch - 156 10th Avenue New York, 10011 - at 20th Street (Book in Advance!) - Price: $$$.
10. Smith & Wollensky - Steakhouse Meat/Fish - 797 3rd Avenue New York, NY 10022 - at 49th Street – Price: $$$$ - Typical American restaurant for meat and fish.
Planning a vacation shouldn't be stressful. We all know plans might change, that is why we offer free cancellation for most of our services and tours. *
*exclusions may apply, please refer to each tour.
Testimonials & Reviews
"Excellent firms don’t believe in excellence – only in constant improvement and constant change."
– TOM PETERS
Based on 250 reviews
Breanna A. | TripAdvisor
Irene was a FANTASTIC tour guide! She was so knowledgeable about the area and was so patient with all our questions. We stopped to use the bathroom and we got coffee halfway through, she was so kind! It was a pleasure learning about Brooklyn from you!
I’m the biggest fan of Fall activities, but haven’t had a chance to do anything beyond Apple Picking in NJ. I decided to take a last minute 2 day trip with a friend in Hudson Valley, but didn’t know where to start [...] Thankfully I was able to use New York Welcome to do the hard work for us [...]
The SATC walking tour is fabulous! Our tour guide was amazing. Friendly, helpful, accommodating and so knowledgeable about the city. It was essentially 2 tours in 1. SATC and visits to historical places in the city. I give this tour 5 stars and definitely recommend. Grab your walking shoes and schedule one today!
Our family had a wonderful experience seeing Ellis Island and Liberty Island! Irene was very knowledgeable and engaging for our three children ages 5, 9, and 12. We will definitely book again with her [...]