Index: Fall in New York: What to do and What to see
New York Weather in the Fall
Is your next trip to the Big Apple scheduled for September? In New York, the real Fall starts with October, a month that still gives you a mix of warm and cool days, few rainy days, and beautiful foliage landscapes in city parks such as Central Park, or along the Boulevard such as Park Avenue, or in the north part of Manhattan. This is the perfect time to take long walks and take wonderful photos back home with you, or enjoy a cruise around the Island of Manhattan, or perhaps celebrate the Oktoberfest at Bear Mountain State Park.
September Weather in New York
If you can choose the time of your vacation, September is one of the best months to visit the Big Apple. The temperatures are mild, the rainfall drops, and walking around the city will be a pleasure. The perfect month to go on one of the Observatories with outdoor terraces, the Empire or the Top of the Rock, visit Liberty and Ellis Island, enjoy the views of Central Park from the terrace of the Metropolitan Museum, stroll along Hudson River during the sunset.
Average Temperatures for September in New York
Temperatures will set around 60° to 77°F, 16° to 25°C degrees, leaving you free to walk without suffering the damp heat of the months of July and August.
Average Rainfall for September in New York
The rain-days will decrease from the high of July with its 11 days of rain, to a more reasonable and pleasurable 6-7 days of rain in September.
What to See in September - Events September
Since September 11th, 2001, the city of New York brings a feeling of unity and solidarity. On this day, we remember the attacks at the Twin Towers, the commemorations are many, all are aimed to remember and honor those we lost while being together united; a triumph of human dignity and valor over the depravity of terror by affirming the fundamental value of human life. Of all the most engaging celebrations is certainly the Tribute in Light, the light installation that on September 11th projects two beams of light and illuminates the place where the Towers once stood bringing them back to life. The lights projected toward the sky can be seen at a great distance.
- With Labor Day, we say goodbye to the Summer, the last weekend of the summer season is September 2nd to the 5th but as usual in New York, we even celebrate the end of Summer with big celebrations.
- September 4th, is the day dedicated to Brazil, Brazilian Day, to celebrate the Independence in Brazil. Brazilian music and colors fill the street of Little Brazil near Times Square. The next day, you can instead attend the extravagant and colorful Caribbean Parade - the New York Caribbean Carnival held in Brooklyn with dances, music and lots of typical Caribbean foods. A tip for you, if you want to participate, but you do not like to be in the middle of crowded places with lots of people, go early on in the morning, as time goes by, temperatures, crowds and more will rise .... The true Parade dedicated to Labor Day will be held on September 10th, the parade celebrates Workers, and departs from 44th Street going towards 67th Street along the Fifth Avenue.
- Fashion Week from the 7th to the 15th of September hosts the greatest fashion designers. Many of the events are invitation-only but for some you can buy the Fashion Week 2018- tickets
- Remember Little Italy for the Feast of San Gennaro (September 15th – 25th) the most popular Italian festival. Although Little Italy is no longer the historic Little Italy we once knew, during the Feast we can find some authentic Italian vibes with Italian musicians, foods and vendors. If you want something even more authentic, you will find it in Arthur Avenue, the Little Italy of the Bronx. You can go there with our licensed New York City Tour Guide Irene.
Weather & Average Temperatures in New York in October
New York City’s weather in October: In the first two weeks of October, high temperatures during the day arrive, and sometimes can exceed, 68°F/ 20°C but the lows can also drop down to the low 50s°F / 10°C during the night. Perfect weather for all outdoor activities. Towards the end of the month, temperature get a bit lower but it is the best time to admire the foliage.
Average Precipitation in October in New York
October is one of the least rainy months of the year, an average of 9 days of rain per month, do as the New Yorkers do, look at the weather before you leave the house / hotel, most app will tell you if and when it will begin to rain and where in the city (neighborhoods.) Might not be 100% accurate all the times, but always better than nothing. Weather in New York.
What to See in October - Events October
The event of the month is without a doubt the Halloween Party with the famous Parade in the West Village. If you think you want to partake in the parade or simply check it out from the sidewalks, here's where you can find all the information: Halloween New York. But do not forget the parade for Columbus Day, the pride of all the Italian-American New Yorkers in New York.
- October 4th to the 7th, New York Comic 2018 at the Javits Center Convention Center is unmissable for all fans of comics, manga, video games etc
- October 8th, the Parade for the Columbus Day celebrations, music, floats and tradition.
- October 12th to 14th, Open House New York 2018, opportunity to visit private homes and residences around the city.
- From October 20th, the season for the New York City Holidays Markets begins - Union Square, Bryant Park, Columbus Circle and the Grand Central Terminal; mix with the locals, and buy some Christmas gifts to take back home with you.
- October 31st Halloween with the famous Parade around the West Village: Get ready for NYC's craziest party.
November Weather: Precipitation & Average Temperatures in New York
In November, the temperatures drop dramatically around 55°F/ 12°C to reach 40°F - 5/6°C at night, snow can already make a first appearance, and if that happens, you do not want to miss a snowy Central Park. Rainy days continue to be scarce during the month, and during the first few weeks, you might still catch the show of colors changing in the city parks and along the avenues; if you love photography, fall in New York is your season.
What to See in November - November Events
The main event of the month is Thanksgiving Day - Thanksgiving with the Macy's Parade, balloons with floats and the incredible show that takes place in front of New York's Macy Department Store in Heralds’ Square. Of course, I recommend watching the parade, but also walking in the early morning around the floats to check out the preparation and release of the balloons from their nets, go to 79th street and Central Park West in the early morning, the show is unique and you will not want to miss it!
- New York Marathon like every year, is held on the first Sunday of November, so this year will be on November 4th. To see it, just find a spot along the streets, choose the best spot and have fun cheering for the runners.
- November 22nd, we celebrate Thanksgiving, you might be interested in reading more on, How to Celebrate Thanksgiving Day in New York.
- Do you love Shopping? Then, Black Friday is your day in New York, the day after Thanksgiving we have Black Friday, the stores are super crowded and discounts reach up to 70% OFF!
- On November, the magic of Christmas comes to town with the famous Tree Lighting Celebrations at Rockefeller Center that will take place like every year in the famous Plaza. The event starts at 7pm, but if you want to attend, try to arrive early on in the afternoon.
Video of the Christmas Tree Lighting at Rockefeller Center
Visit New York in the Fall – Here, our Tips:
What to do in the Fall
As we have seen together, the activities that New York offers during the Fall are several, important parties and events, parades and opportunities to still enjoy some outdoor adventures and open-air walks. Due to some of these special events, the prices may be higher on some weekends / dates, but there may be good deals around, and remember that your Hotel does not have to be necessarily in the heart Times Square! We have some great tips on Where to stay in New York – How to choose a Neighborhood& Hote
l. Book ahead of time to get good deals and use one of the special PASSes that include activities and attractions for reduced rates.
How to dress
We are in the Fall, therefore make sure to bring a heavy jacket for the evenings or in case of sudden cold-fronts, towards the end of the season make sure to also have a hat and gloves and sweaters, comfortable shoes in case of rain and/or snow.