Index: Spring in New York: What to do and what to visit
Spring in New York
With April the first spring days arrive, the days are getting longer and the cherry trees start to blossom in the parks .... but beware the month could still bring a few days of cold...and snow!!! Let's see the temperatures:
Climate, Temperatures and Average Precipitation in New York in April
In April the average temperatures range from minimum 7 to maximum around 15 degrees, New Yorkers immediately begin to crowd the parks and for visitors it becomes pleasant to walk, ride a bike and take some boat trips. Beware of rains that can be sudden and abundant, not so much in the number of days as in quantity. Stay up to date with the Weather in New York
Events in April 2019 - What to see
This year Easter arrives on April 1st, but it is not the only event in New York we see all the appointments for April 2018 in NYC, some dates are not yet confirmed, we will update them as soon as they are defined:
For more info on events see: April 2019 Event Guide
- Folk Music Festival, 5-7 April - Listen to folk music, blues, jug-bands, string bands, bluegrass, Balkan and Irish at the Brooklyn Folk Festival,
- Scottish Parade on April 6 - Celebrate Scotland by watching bagpipers, dogs, kilt men and plaid women marching along Sixth Avenue from 45 to 55 in the New York Tartan Day parade.
- Fight with cushions in the park on April 6th - Giant battle with cushions in Washington Square
- Comics Festival 6 and 7 April-The Art MoCCA Arts Festival Comic Museum features cartoonists and celebrity illustrators on display at the Metropolitan West.
- Ukrainian Easter eggs on April 13 - Watch the demonstrations of Making of Pysanky (Ukrainian Easter eggs) by artists who use wax-resistant batiks
- Hot sauce festival on April 13th and 14th - You will find spicy salsa tastings, food vendors, cooking competitions, live music, craft beer, cocktails and awards at the Brooklyn New York Hot Expo at the Brooklyn Expo Center.
- Easter Parade April 21 - Wearing an extravagant hat or a festive costume and joining people walking on Fifth Avenue from 49th to 57th Street for Easter Parade
- Tribeca Festival from April 24th to May 5th - festival offering film, music and cultural events in Lower Manhattan.
Easter Parede in New York
New York Weather in May
May is certainly among the best months to visit New York, temperatures are pleasant. It is the right month for outdoor activities and to visit the beautiful parks and botanical gardens that New York offers. It is also the perfect time for an excursion to Washington DC with its blooming cherry trees!
The average temperatures and precipitation in May
Average temperatures range from 8 ° to 20 °, therefore more than pleasant; the rains are plentiful, umbrella and k-way in New York are always needed!
Events in May 2019 - What to see
Now let's see the events of May in New York, we will make updates when we have certain dates, starting with:
For more info on events see: May 2019 Events Guide
- Nonfiction film festival from April 25 to May 5 - Watch a different collection of no-fiction films at the Art of the Real at Lincoln Center
- Taste of the Lower East Side on May 2 - Unlimited tastings of 50 local restaurants and bars open to the Taste of the Lower East Side in the Metropolitan Pavilion for $ 195 + charity.
- International food fest May 18 and 19 - The Ninth Avenue International Food Festival offers food from around the world, international music and dance, artists and vendors, and children's rides and games on Nona Avenue (42 to 57 streets).
- Festival of the arts from 24 to 26 May - The Lower East Side Arts Festival hosts dance, film, music, poetry, theater and visual arts at the Theater for the New City. Free.
- Italian film festival - May 2019 - Italian life and culture presented by a new generation of Italian filmmakers at Open Roads: New Italian Cinema at Lincoln Center.
- Shakespeare in the Park May - For tickets to Shakespeare in the Park at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park, pay $ 500 as a "supporter" or get free tickets by participating in a lottery or waiting in line.
New York Weather in June
In June you can breathe summer air, recommend beautiful walks to discover the island of Manhattan, along the Hudson River from Battery Park, extreme point of Manhattan you can get up to Harlem; and then there's Brooklyn with Dumbo and Queens. Relax in the parks, enjoy the sea breeze on one of the cruises, both day and night and arrive to Coney Island for a spin on the wheel and to enjoy one of Nathan's famous Hot Dogs!
The average temperatures and precipitation in June in New York
We will have less rainfall in June and average temperatures will be from 15° to over 25°. As already mentioned it is among the best months to see New York.
Events in June 2019 - What to see
Many of the events started in May last also for the month of June, some dates have yet to be confirmed, but let's see what New York offers us in June:
For more info on events see: June 2019 Event Guide
- Brooklyn street party June 1 - Young people stand in line in the sun to enter the Bushwick Block Party, which has two music boxes, dozens of street performers, food and beer trucks on Troutman Street and St. Nicholas Avenue in Brooklyn. Free.
- Pride Sunday 30 June - Pride Week events include Pride Parade on the 5th Avenue, a PrideFest fair in the afternoon at University Place (from Waverly Place to E. 13th Street) and Pride Island at Pier 97, followed by fireworks at noon. Music in the park -June 2019. Listen to classical music outdoors in the parks under the stars with the New York Philharmonic Concerts, followed by fireworks. (The indoor show has no fireworks.)
- Taste of Times Square June 2019 Taste of Times Square offers international cuisine from 40 restaurants and music from local groups on 46th Street (from Broadway to 9th Avenue).
- Big-band dance party June 2019 - Midsummer Night Swing starts with a swing, tango, salsa, etc. lesson, followed by a live band at Damrosch Park at Lincoln Center. Closed Sunday and Monday
- Free movies on a ship deck Opening the doors at 7 pm to watch movies at sunset during the Summer Movie Series at Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.
Spring: Best time to visit New York.
As you understand spring is perfect to visit New York, pleasant temperature, many events and events, prices are not very high and the presence of tourists is still reduced.
New York during the spring, our tips:
How to dress
For clothes everything changes if you arrive in April rather than June, in April bring some heavy garments for the coldest days and for the evening. Comfortable shoes and something suitable for rain, umbrella and k-way. Remember that on rainy days you can always dedicate yourself to visiting museums, shopping and watching a show.
For June add sunscreen, glasses and a hat.